Friday, January 1, 2010

'Cause I Know You Are Dying To Know

Did you stay awake until midnight?

I can say with all sincerity that I probably did not (shhhh, don't tell - I wrote this post in 2009).

I am not the party animal I once was.

But every time New Year's rolls around I always wonder about that song "Auld Lang Syne". What the heck does that mean?

Well, this year you are in luck because I did some research and I am going to share it with you. Thank you google and wikipedia.

Turns out it has its roots in an old Scottish poem turne into a song from the 1700s. The best English translations would be something like "long, long ago" or "days gone by"

And I bet you don't know all the lyrics either. I know I didn't.

Never fear. I researched that too and I will share them with you.

Auld Lang Syne
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne ?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.
And surely you’ll buy your pint cup !
and surely I’ll buy mine !
And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

There are more verses, but I'll stop there.

So now you know.

And in case you were like me and didn't stay up long enough to sing this with anyone at the stroke of midnight, feel free to sing it now with these guys.

No comments: