Thursday, January 14, 2010

Maiden Voyage

Some things you should know first:

When Kevin is out of town, we like to do breakfast for dinner.
Kevin does not like breakfast for dinner.
I have these great memories of my mom making waffles in her silver wafflemaker with the orange light when we were kids.
I gained several or fifteen pounds in college when they installed the Belgian wafflemakers in the cafeteria available at every meal.
A few years ago I asked for and received a wafflemaker for Christmas.
I hated it.
No matter what I did(spray or no spray, oil, etc), the waffles stuck. It was a huge mess.
So I continued to buy frozen store bought waffles.

But then...

things changed.

I was in a store called Tuesday Morning the other day when the boys were in school. They carry discounted stuff similar to TJ Maxx or Marshalls. I happened upon this box.

The name "VillaWare" sounded familiar, but I couldn't think of why. Then I remembered. Williams-Sonoma carries that brand of waffle irons. But they are pretty expensive. However, they got great reviews. I was reading about them prior to Christmas thinking I might want to try a different kind. After doing a little research, I decided they were too expensive.

This one was only $24.99. Normally it was $79.99 according to the price tag and anywhere from $45 to $119 online. I looked after I brought it home. Yikes! Well, I decided to try it Wednesday night.


AMAZING! The waffles didn't stick and it makes the cutest little boats. It has a browning control similar to a toaster. It beeps when the cooking cycle is over (Fletcher thought it was the fire alarm - wonder why). Clean up was super easy. We filled them with fruit. The boys loved their "waffle boats." I knew they were a hit when Fletcher asked if we could eat the leftovers the next morning for breakfast.




I know there are some healthy waffle recipes out there so I plan to use those. The first night I used a mix similar to Bisquick. I'll try one of these two recipes next. They get great reviews (although I've never done that whole peaking egg whites thing in my life!)
Ultimate Pumpkin Waffle Recipe (probably tasty with some cream cheese in the boat).
They can also be used like waffle cones for ice cream sundaes. Yum!
The possibilites are endless.




2 comments:

All Things Istre of Katy said...

We always use Alton Brown's mix. He also has a chocolate mix. Both are tasty. the are very filling, so we only eat one or maybe 2. We just freeze the leftovers and pop them in the toaster when ready.

saintdee01 said...

THOSE LOOK YUMMY!
NICE WAFFLE IRON, TOO.
WHAT A BARGAIN?!?!
KEEP US POSTED ON HOW THE OTHER RECIPES TURN OUT.