Thursday, January 7, 2010

That Did NOT Just Happen (Hilton Head - Part 3)

On New Year's Day, we bundled up and took the kids to the beach.  We also took them down to the lighthouse to take some pictures.  My sister-in-law Stacie really wanted a good picture of the four cousins together.  So Kevin brought his fancy camera.  This is an important detail for the rest of the story.

They were happily playing, digging, fishing, etc. on the beach.   I was sitting near Luke watching him play.  A group of people came by with a couple of those little yippy dogs and a cocker spaniel.  None of the dogs were on leashes.  I guess there's not a leash law on the island.  Or maybe there is and these people were not obeying it.  On the sand near Luke was our duffle bag.  Our duffle bag with towels, a few sand toys, some snacks, diapers, wipes, and Kevin's camera. 

The cocker spaniel the stupid dog who was not on a leash came over and sniffed the bag. 

Then the dog...

hiked his leg up....

and began to pee on our bag...

Suddenly I felt like I was Bruce Willis in a Die Hard movie because everything started moving in slow motion. I am screaming, "Nooooooooooooooo.  Stooooooooooooop"  as I am lunging across the sand to get to the bag and get the dog away from it.

Kevin's back was turned and he of course turned around to see what his wife was yelling at.

"The dog just peed on our bag. The bag with your camera in it."

At first, I don't think Kevin thought I was serious.  I mean it does sound ridiculous.  What pet owner allows their pet to pee on someone else's belongings?  Trees?  Ok.  Fire hydrants?  Sure.  Bushes?  Why not.  But a duffle bag?  Are you kidding me!!!!

I was so very angry.  During the commotion, the dog went up to Luke and scared him.  So he's crying.  I'm trying to comfort him and see if the camera got wet. 

The people are apologizing, but they still don't PUT THEIR DOG ON A LEASH!  Kevin assures them that everything was fine.  Thankfully, the dog missed the camera and it mostly got on the outside of the bag.  I am glad I married him because I honestly wanted to say some seriously not nice things to those people.  Not exactly the best way to start a new year. 

Now I can laugh about it, but at the time it was not funny. 

Here are a few beach pics. 







And these are the pictures of the cousins.  It was really cold at the lighthouse.  I didn't realize it, but Fletcher had bubble gum in his mouth too.  Someday these four will look at these pictures and remember that their parents must have been nuts to make them take pictures in short sleeve shirts on January 1 in freezing temps.  Ahh, the wonderful memories!






2 comments:

saintdee01 said...

AWW THESE ARE GREAT PICS -- GRANDMA AND PAPA CHARLIE MUST BE SO VERY PROUD OF THIS BUNCH.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
LOVE Y'ALL!

Vonda said...

Awesome pictures of the cousins and your boys! What...no pix of that stupid dog??? Hee hee! Great story and girl I would have been ticked too.