Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Summer Memories

A few things I remember about my summers when I was a kid growing up in Louisiana:

We couldn't wait until the last day of school because starting the very next day we could go barefoot until school started again. That was a BIG deal! To this day I am still not a big fan of wearing shoes.

My mom would take us to the library each week and I would read all of my books that I checked out in one day.

My mom would also take us to the city pool. There are two or three songs that automatically remind me of the Maplewood pool every time I hear them on an oldies station or in the elevator. I can't ever remember the names of the songs, I just remember hearing them at the pool.

We spent alot of time at the ball field for my brother's baseball games. I always wanted food from the concession stand. Now I try to avoid concession stands at all costs.

At some point the whole family had to help put up corn or shell purple hull peas. I wasn't very good at either one.

Two words: Snow Cones!

Three more words: Homemade Ice Cream! The kind you had to crank with the handle.

Family vacations consisted of trips to Houston to go to Astroworld or if we were really adventurous we went to Hot Springs, Arkansas. There was a "resort" on a lake with cabins and a pool. Those trips were so fun. I'll have to try to find pictures and post them for Throwback Thursday. I guess that's why traveling is important to me for our family. I want my boys to have great memories of trips we took together as a family.

What are your favorite summer memories?

2 comments:

All Things Istre of Katy said...

Rachel, ever wonder why mom took us to the Maplewood pool instead of the Sulphur Frasch pool? I remember most of the same things. Even told the kids and Monette about our trips to Hot Springs. Funny how we never left the resort and saw anything in Hot Springs though. I remember heading to the corner stores (Country Grocery and 7-11) for baseball cards, lemon heads and now and laters. As I got older, I remember riding bikes to Shepherd's Rest for some country swimming.

Anonymous said...

I remember riding my bike ALL day long, going from one place to another. Getting snacks from the little country store. Swimming at the neighbors. Riding horses. So many good memories!