Friday, July 31, 2009

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Yesterday's post and Girls Weekend reminded me of another little prank from my past.

Someday I hope my boys will read these posts and perhaps they will realize that their mom used to be fun (because I am sure they will think I am a big ol' stick in the mud when they are teenagers). One of my favorite stories is of my dad getting caught skipping school and going to play pool with his buddies.

There's a place in The Woodlands just north of Houston called The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion. We shopped near there during Girls Weekend. It is an outdoor amphitheater with regular chair seats but also a sloping hill where people can sit on a blanket and/or bring a picnic to watch the concert. Very fun. Possibly romantic if you are there with the right person.

Several of us went to see James Taylor. We bought the cheap tickets which meant sitting on the hill. I can't remember for sure, but I think I was there with some of the girls who taught school with me so it definitely wasn't a date night for me. While we were waiting for the performance to start we happened to see Joe** one of the guys who taught with us at Second Baptist School. Joe** did not see us. Joe** was on a date. We did not recognize Date Girl so our guess was that this might be a first date or a very new relationship. Joe was reclining on the blanket with the beautiful girl, the picnic basket, and the perfect weather (and soon the JT music). He didn't know of the triple dog dare 40 feet behind him.

I walked down the far side of the hill like I was going to the restroom so he wouldn't see me. I walked up the "aisle" closest to Joe looking around like I was trying to find my group. When I saw him, I acted very surprised and said in a somewhat excited loud voice,

"Joe? Joe? Oh my goodness! I can't believe it's you. I haven't seen you since you broke off our ENGAGEMENT."

Everyone on their blankets near Joe immediately turned to watch thinking, "Oh, this is going to be good."

Date Girl is clearly uncomfortable.

Joe's face is red and he is trying to say something but before he can speak, I say

"What has it been? Two months? I can't believe it has been two months!!! How are you? And how's your family?"

Then I promptly plopped down on their blanket continuing to ask rapid fire questions.

I am surprised Joe didn't kill me right then and there. My friends are watching 40 feet up and while they can't hear anything they can see his and her priceless facial expressions.

Date Girl's mind is racing. "He was engaged? He didn't tell me that. She is sitting on our blanket."
I try to keep it up without laughing and even introduce myself to Date Girl. Finally, Joe is laughing because he knows I got him good. He is saying, "Rachel, stop it. Rachel, I am going to kill you." This makes me start laughing so I can't keep up the act.

Joe reluctantly introduces me to Date Girl as one of his co-workers (and not a former fiancee). I leave them alone so he can convince her that I really was just kidding.

Now that was a fun concert!

**Names have been changed to protect the innocent especially since Joe didn't marry that Date Girl but he is happily married to someone else and has two kids (so I hear).

Happy Birthday to my nephew Thom today! Have a great day! Next year's the big one!

No comments: