Friday, July 24, 2009

The Summer Garden

What an adventure this has been!

Of everything we've planted the cucumbers have done the best even though they have taken over a portion of the fencing around the garden. Fletcher and Kevin have especially enjoyed eating them. We were getting tomatoes too until the blight completely destroyed them. They were all very small though.



We took out the carrots and the onions because they weren't growing. We are holding on to a little hope for the strawberries and leaving the peppers just in case. I didn't have much hope for the blueberries in the first place since they were an impulse purchase at Sam's. I probably should do some research to see what kind of blueberry plants grow best around here.

This white flower is a bloom on one of the strawberry plants.

I did buy a pack of mini pumpkin seeds for the boys to plant. It says it takes 100 days to grow. So that means we should plant them today. I don't think we will plant anything else for the fall.

Will I do a garden again next year? I'm not sure. I have learned alot, but I still realize there's so much to learn. I think I know a little more about what NOT to do. With North Carolina's unpredictible spring weather (remember it snowed on March 1 after we planted stuff on Feb. 15), I don't think I'll do a spring garden. But we may try another summer garden.

No comments: