Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hello 2009!

I realize people say this all the time, but this year has really flown by. I told several people at the end of last year that 2007 was the year that kicked my butt - so much happened from leaving Florida to adopting Luke to being the parents of a newborn again and moving into a new house. I said that I wanted 2008 to be a year of simplicity.

I can't say that I've hit a home run, but in many ways this has been a year of simplicity. I've spent more time at home than at Target. I've decluttered, donated, consigned, and sold things we no longer use or need. I'm learning that less is more. I've worked harder at planning menus, grocery shopping and using coupons. I'd like to say that I've read more books, but I didn't. Or exercised like a mad woman, but I haven't. Or spent hours and hours in prayer and quiet time with God, but I didn't. But I did realize God is with me and still loves me in the midst of poopy diapers, Star Wars toys and spiritual conversations with my 5 year old. I did start this blog which has been a great way to keep me feeling connected to my family and my friends.

So what about 2009? I know there are alot of things that are going to make 2009 a little crazy. Selling our house, moving, renting a house, finding the right kindergarten program for Fletcher, adjusting to a new work schedule for Kevin, making new friends, finding a new church, finding new doctors and dentists, finding someone to cut my hair, finding the nearest Target and Walmart.

But in the midst of the craziness that 2009 will bring, I want to laugh more and give up my need to control all the details. That's God's job, not mine. I want to enjoy the stages that my children are in right now. They will never be this exact age ever again. I want to face 2009 as an unexpected adventure with my husband, not an annoying inconvenience to my predictable routine. I do want to read more and exercise more and spend more time with God. But I'm going to let go of the guilt now just in case those things don't happen the way I think they should.

A sweet friend of mine who recently moved sent me this verse today. It will probably become my verse for 2009. Not that I have a verse for every year, but it seems like a good idea.


"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you;
he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
Deuteronomy 31:8
I hope you and yours have a safe and happy New Year!

No comments: