Thursday, January 8, 2009

Throwback Thursday


The date: The Miss Louisiana College 1989 Pageant
The place: Pineville, Louisiana
The mood: I grew up watching the Miss America pageant. I thought it was so cool -- all the pretty dresses, the talent competition, etc. And the prizes. The winners won so many cool prizes. So when "all" of my friends decided to compete in the Miss LC pageant during my junior year, I decided to join the fun. I'd always wanted to do a pageant. I too could win scholorships, travel to exotic locations, meet new people, maybe even win a car.

Three words - I hated it. Being with my friends was fun, but I am not "pageant material." I sing ok, but not well enough to perform solos. I'm more of a group singer. As you can see, I went with the "more is always better" motto when applying my makeup that night. With some appropriate padding, spray glue, duct tape and starving myself for three months I did look pretty good in the swimsuit portion of the competition. My roommate Kim is in the picture with me. She actually won that year. The girl can sing and she is beautiful! I think the judges did tell her they didn't like her dress (they may have used the words "burn it" - my memory is a little foggy). I didn't walk away empty handed. I did win something (can't remember what) for having the highest GPA and for selling the most ads in the pageant program book.

So someday when I'm old and gray and everything is saggy, my boys may see this picture and think "oh no, I think our mom was a hooker in college."

I don't think I mentioned it, but Kevin picked up on my not-so-subtle hint and bought me a scanner for my birthday. We were so busy getting the house ready to sell that we didn't do much with it. However, it is now all hooked up and ready to go. When I was looking for a picture to post for today's Throwback, I noticed I had some significant hairdos back in the day. So we just might have to take a look at those styles at some point in the future. (I know you can't wait!)

1 comment:

KIM said...

Don't I have to sign something for you to be able to use these pictures??????????? Beautiful, just beautiful.
Was cleaning out mail and saw the one you sent with the "Mandrake" sisters and decided to finally take the time to look at your blog and register. The boys are precious!!