Friday, January 2, 2009

I Got Chills - They're Multiplying

I am trying not to start 2009 on a whiny note. But this North Carolina winter might just kill me.

Keep in mind I have lived within about 10 miles of Interstate 10 for 38 of my 40 years of life. I am not kidding. Not counting college, Sulphur, Houston, Jacksonville and Tallahassee are all right along the Interstate 10 corridor which means that except for a few days in early Feb, it is somewhere between 70 and 98 degrees all year long. I like that. I stay warm that way.

Today it was 45 degrees outside. Not bad if you are indoors, but Fletcher wanted to go to our neighborhood playground. So we went. I was wearing my heaviest coat. After 8 minutes I went and sat in the car. Even my bones were cold. My neighbor from Maryland called me a wimp. It probably didn't help that I was wearing gloves purchased at a Target in Florida. Somehow I have a feeling that Target stores in Florida don't understand 45 degree weather. They understand cute and fashionable, but not functional.

When we returned to the house, two of my fingers were completely white because there was no blood circulating through them. I had to run them under hot water to get them to perk up. I still can't feel three of my toes. On a side note, I dread those time in church where they tell you to shake hands with a neighbor because I know my "neighbor" is thinking "Good Lord, that woman's hands are freezing."

Here's part of my challenge. I am a cotton girl. I like things made of cotton. Wool, acrylic, cashmere and sometimes polyester make me itchy. And they do weird things to my hair -- like making it all flat and staticky (not sure if that's a word). I could possibly handle bad hair, but I can't handle feeling itchy.

So if any of you know of any good clothing, jackets, gloves, hats, etc that can keep me warm this winter (but are not made of wool, acrylic, etc), please let me know. It is only January and it doesn't get warm around here until June.

I'm off to google "walrus pelt pajamas". Now that will add some romance to my marriage!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know that I live in Florida and all, but...

You can wear a cotton long-sleeved shirt UNDER a wool/cashmere/polyester/sandpaper sweater or coat...and that way the itchiness can't get to your skin. Or at least that works for me...? If the back of your neck still itches, a turtleneck would cover it up.

Maybe not as cool as walrus pelt, but it's an idea...

P.S. Tell Fletcher (and the other boys too) that I say hi!!

Georgia Girl said...

I am there with you sister!!

Mark gave me some of those hand warmers he carries hunting and I stuffed them in my gloves one day we were out. They were the best! Since Caleb wouldn't wear gloves I could rub them on his hands, too.

Definitely need the long johns. I like Cuddle Duds.

Recently Mark thought we should take Caleb to the Y to practice swimming. I was like, first of all, it's winter - I don't care if they say the pool is heated and second of all, I am pregnant! Needless to say we haven't gone.

Meagan N. said...

Rachel,
As a transplant from FL to Montana, I feel your pain, but I have adjusted nicely and never liked the heat anyway. Since it's about 3 degrees right now, 45 sounds mighty balmy! For gloves, my favorites are shearling-lined sheepskin. VERY warm. I find them at ranch supply stores or even a bigger hardware store. If you can't find those, spring for some down-filled mittens. Even my hands, which are also perpetually freezing, sweat in those.
I know you say no wool, but merino wool is not itchy at all. If you can shell out a little money, try Patagonia's stuff. It's well made and super-warm. I love their Synchilla fleece. It's extremely soft and cozy. Smartwool brand is also great.
I don't know if anyone makes them, but you could seek out a cotton down-filled coat. Nothing's warmer than down. Maybe you could even tolerate just a down vest, which keeps you warmer than you'd think.
Hats are a necessity, and plenty are made from cotton. Also, often wool or other sorts of hats are lined with soft fleece which keeps them non-itchy.
Good luck! My parents (dad and stepmom) just moved to Franklin, NC and are loving it.
Oh, and try to find some down booties for home too. They're wonderful. Good luck!