Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sleep Reading

At the risk of sounding incredibly weird, I'm going to go ahead and tell you something.

I think I might read in my sleep.

I said it sounded incredibly weird.

When Fletcher comes home from school in the afternoons, I put Luke down for his nap and then Fletcher and I read several books together. He has a reading passport at school so we've been trying to read lots of books to "earn" states for his passport. I know states are not technically part of the passport system, but work with me. (The book list will be another post for another day.)

Anyway, take yesterday for example. There were about 7 books sitting on the end table. I recall reading 3 of them. Fletcher said, "No, Mom. We also read Noah's Ark and Pearl's New Skates." I am not kidding when I say I looked through both of those books and they did not look familiar AT ALL (well, I know the general story of Noah's ark, but this one is from Noah's granddaughter's perspective). But Fletcher told me the plot of both books and looked at me like I was crazy since I was the one who read them to him. This isn't the first time this has happened. We've had other books that I started to read and Fletcher told me we had already read them.

It seems to happen when I am really tired. I took a nap right after our reading session (and apparently during it too). I was up early yesterday. Maybe I'm in some semi-conscious pre-sleep stage? Anyone care to diagnose me?

I do remember in college when I would look back at my notes from class on the days when I was really sleepy, that I would have weird stuff written directly into my notes that made no sense whatsoever. Like a sentence about a drugstore in the middle of my World Civilization notes. Again, I think I must have dozed off but kept writing.

Guess I need to get more sleep.

1 comment:

Georgia Girl said...

As long as you aren't driving, it's all good! I have often found I can "read" Caleb's books without conscious awareness. I can think about everything under the sun and still get through reading time. But I try not to! Because what would life be without the small pig who runs away from home because the farmer's wife vacuums up all his mud!!