Thursday, May 27, 2010

Grande Venti(ng)

This post has nothing to do with coffee.

I just need to vent.

But I don't want to sound like a brat.

Recently, several retail stores have changed their return and exchange policies. And I don't like them.

There's a store whose name I won't mention (but it rhymes with Hottery Darn Mids) that has a 30 day return & exchange policy. Thirty days. One month. Too bad if you change your mind. I bought a quilt for Luke's room in a twin size. Then we ended up getting a full size bed. I know some of you are thinking "well, you should have waited to buy the bedding." But I needed a starting point to figure out paint color and other stuff. I just assumed based on the size of his room we would get him a twin bed. Then I found this super cute full size bed on craigslist that is virtually indestructable even for a two year old so we got it (pictures soon). The quilt I bought is still in stock in the store. I just need a full size instead of a twin and I am happy to pay the difference. I called and they said there's nothing they can do because I purchased it more than 30 days ago. Now I could see if I bought it three years ago and I was trying to return it or if I had used it. But it is still in the original packaging and they still have the same one IN STOCK.

Same thing happened at a clothing store. Tags still on the shirt. I purchased it 37 days ago. But their return policy is 30 days. Same shirt still in the store. No merchandise credit.

Needless to say, I am very reluctant to shop at either one of these stores ever again. I need to be a better decision maker. What if everyone kept returning stuff. I know all of the arguments. It is just a small frustration in the grand scheme of things. But I remember back in the olden days when things were different.

I think I might send Kevin into the first store with the quilt to see what he could do. He has a way with people.

Ok. Rant over. But let this serve as a warning to you. Read those return policies. It will save you much frustration down the road. It seems as though several stores are doing this new "30 day" thing.

Anyone want to buy a twin quilt or shirt? I could make you a great deal.

2 comments:

Traci said...

Tell them that it was a gift and you do not have the receipt. You may not get as much as you paid for it because some stores take a percent off, but better than nothing. Or sell it on ebay to recoup some of your cost.

Anonymous said...

As a retail worker, for many years, if you say you will call corporate, or even directly call corporate, then usually people budge at that point. This is a customer service oriented store, and if words like "District Manager" and "I understand your policy, but I am looking to exchange or receive a merch. credit to use, in the store, then I don't see what the problem is. The money still remains with the store".
Also, if there was any undertone with the clerk that seemed rude, I would mention that to the district manager or corporate as soon as possible. That will almost always get you what you want. I know...I was a manager for many years;) CNP