Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Gotcha & Gotcha Back

I tried to come up with something clever for April Fools' Day today but couldn't think of anything. So instead I thought I share a story of how I got Kevin on April Fools and how he got me back.

We had only been dating a few months, but I knew that I was really liking him alot (and I won't speak for him but I think he felt the same way about me).

The day before April Fools my car battery died. I think this had happened recently before. If my memory serves me correctly (cut me a little slack - it has been 12 years), I took it to a mechanic and he said I needed a new battery. Well Kevin told me that he could put the battery in for me instead of me paying someone to do it. So we got the battery and he put it in. The car started great and I was good to go.

I knew the next day was April Fools, but he didn't. He just doesn't really keep up with that kind of stuff. So early that morning about the time I should have been leaving for school, I called him in a panic saying that my car wouldn't start. I was acting really upset saying that I was going to be late for school. And to really rub it in, I asked him if he was sure he put it in correctly. I asked if he had ever done that before (really crushing blows to the male ego). Kevin goes into his very matter-of-fact "I'm a guy, I can fix this" mode. He tells me he will be right over to get me to school and take care of my car. I just keep saying, "I think you did it wrong." Finally, before he drove across town in crazy Houston traffic, I told him "April Fools!" He breathed a sign of relief and acknowledged that I had gotten him good. Later he said, "I knew I had installed that battery correctly!"

So the day continued and I forgot all about April Fools. For some reason we didn't see each other that night - probably because one of us had small group. I knew he would call me before I went to sleep to see how my day had been. Background note: he had recently gone to Phoenix for a meeting for his job. He starts telling me about his day. Then in a serious tone he said he had a big meeting with his boss, Jack.

Kevin: I'm not sure how to tell you this. It isn't great news.
Rachel: What?
K: Jack needs me to move to Phoenix. . . (he gives elaborate details on why)
R: ((silence))
K: Are you there?
R: Yes, I'm here.
K: Looks like they want me to move pretty quick.
R: (big lump in my throat - I'm thinking that it is waaaaaaay too early in our dating relationship to be making any long term commitments and I would never move because of a guy. But I really like him and I really don't want him to move)
K: Still there?
R: Yes. So are you going to go?
K: Well, I kind of have to if I want to keep my job. (No mention of me - not a good sign)
R: I just don't know what to say (I'm about to cry)
K: Oh, and one other thing.
R: Yeah?
K: April Fools!

Mine was funny. His was just mean.

Ok, so I admit it was funny too. But it took me awhile.

Happy April Fools to you and yours today.

1 comment:

caroline said...

my parents made the joke that they were leaving for Colorado one year, had all us girls crying...but then 3 years later when they told us they really were moving to Colorado, they had to produce quite a few documents to prove they were really moving!