Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Summer Garden

I have to let you in on a little secret. I'm not so sure about all this gardening stuff.

According to what I read, our broccoli and lettuce should have already produced by now making room for our summer plants. Most everything we planted said it would mature between 60-75 days. We planted on Feb. 15. I'm no mathematical genius (but I did major in it in college), but that tells me that by now we should have some serious maturity.

I'm not sure if this counts. Maybe my boys can split the floret and get their vegetable nutrients for the day.

I might be able to serve Kevin a tiny side salad with our buttercrunch lettuce. Any idea why the lettuce seems to be doing great near the sides of the garden but not in the middle. Do the pressure treated posts Kevin used to assemble the structure add some kind of fertilizer I don't know about. Hmmmmm?
Maybe it has something to do with the 3 or 4 really cold/freezing nights we had after Feb. 15.

It does look like we'll be having a few strawberries soon. Fletcher reminded me not to eat the green ones because they don't taste good. Voice of experience? I didn't ask.

In good faith we went ahead and squeezed in some Lady Bell peppers, burpless cucumbers (whatever that means) and six tomato plants. Three of the tomato plants are called Better Bush. The guy at the gardening place said they are good to grow in raised beds and containers because they only get about 3 feet tall. The other kind are La Roma. We used pots since we didn't have much room anyway and tomatoes are prone to diseases. I'm not sure whether we will need stakes or not so we put them in just in case.

We haven't been getting much rain so Fletcher and I have been diligently watering. The boys and I were in Sams awhile back and we saw this really cool setup. Kevin said, "No." Maybe next year. . .

3 comments:

Traci said...

I have a roma tomato plant too! So far I have 5 tomatoes growing & several more blooms. I also did bell peppers & onions which are doing very well.

All Things Istre of Katy said...

burpless cucumbers are just that. They help with reducing belching.

Georgia Girl said...

Do you think if I ate burpless cukes that Maddy would have less gas? Things that make you go hmmmm...

So a math major - who knew - I studied Chemistry - I use it every day - Hah!

BTW - I like the set up you saw at Sams - pretty cool. Almost inspiring enough for me to plant my own garden. Again...hmmmmm