Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Move Over Martha! Part 2

I'm not sure what got into me over the Easter holidays. I saw another article online about how to make tie dyed cupcakes. Our neighbors had invited us over on Good Friday for a little egg hunt so I thought these might be fun to make.

They really are pretty simple.

Get a white cake mix like Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines and prepare the batter according to package directions. After the batter is prepared, divide it evenly into 4 or 5 bowls depending on how many colors you want in your cupcakes. Put different food coloring in each bowl to make different colors. I used regular food coloring and made purple, pink, blue, green and yellow. I did read that Betty Crocker makes something called gels that will make more intense colors. Pastel colors were great for me since it was Easter.


Line muffin pan with cupcake liners then drop spoonfuls of each batter color in each liner. I did use a skewer to sort of swirl the batter on one batch but it really didn't make a difference. Bake according to package directions.



This is what the top looked like without swirling the batter.
This is what the inside looked like.


I colored white frosting with some pastel colors and frosted them and decorated with jellybeans but I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. The kids thought they were cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made a camo cake for Curt's birthday this year and used the same technique with greens and browns. Those boys thought that was the best cake ever!