Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Probably Not What Jesus Had In Mind

I've mentioned this guy (Jon Acuff) and this blog (Stuff Christians Like) before, but once again if you've grown up in church and you have ever taken The Lord's Supper or done Communion (whichever your church calls it) you have to go to link below and read his post. Hilarious.

#535 Communion Tray Etiquette

The best comment from this post came from a reader named Trish who said,

Another tip: If you have recently had your jaw broken and its not wired shut, but you have very thick rubber bands that allow you to open your mouth just wide enough to slip the cracker in...it is in fact NOT a good plan to let the cracker get just soggy enough that you think you can swallow it without chewing (cause you can't actually chew solid food with a broken jaw)...you still might choke. And the blood, I mean juice, usually doesn't follow fast enough for you to use it to help wash down the cracker; leaving you to eventually have to cough up the cracker. Of course, you can't open your mouth up wide enough to spit it back out, so you have you get your suction bulb (very similar to the ones used to suck out baby boogers) and suck the Jesus back out of your mouth before the paramedics are called. Not that it ever happened to me, I just wanted to warn everyone...

I'll add my own Lord's Supper memory. My dad has been the deacon in charge of getting everything ready for the Lord's Supper at our church in Louisiana - grape juice in the little plastic glasses and wafers on the plate (I'm not sure if he still does it or not). Well, since he was in charge, he kept the supplies (juice and wafers) at our house. He kept the wafers in the freezer so they wouldn't go stale. Well, he and my mom cook alot with onions and bell peppers. I know you are wondering where I am going with this, but just stay with me. He would chop up onions and bell peppers and put them in the freezer so he would have them ready for gumbos, etoufees, etc. One Sunday at church on Lord's Supper Day, the entire congregation ate the wafers and everyone got these strange looks on their faces. Somehow the flavor of the onions and peppers had gotten into the wafers and they tasted like onion pepper crackers. I immediately knew what had happened and thought it was funny. I was in the youth group at the time so I am sure I wasn't being very reverent or reflective anyway. Shame on me. We all ate them. My mom was so embarassed. From then on I think the wafers were either kept in the freezer at church or at least kept far, far away from onions and peppers.

Anyone else want to share?

2 comments:

Traci said...

LOL I didn't know this!! It makes a lot of sense though.

Thom Trahan said...

Onion & Bell Pepper flavored communion wafers?! That sounds like 10x better than the regular ones!