Thursday, May 28, 2009

Mix Tape

Do you remember making mix tapes when you were a kid? We would wait by the radio (or jam box) with a tape recorder waiting for a favorite song to come on so we could hit "Play" and "Record". We would hope the DJ wouldn't talk too much during the intro and ruin the song. It could take an entire afternoon waiting by the radio (and no bathroom breaks) just to get three or four good songs. There was the "I'm In Love With You So Here's Every Romantic Song I Can Find Including Our Special Song" mix tape and the "He Broke Up With Me - I Am So Depressed" mix tape and the "I Was The Fifth Caller And Won A Prize On The Radio" mix tape.

Good times.

These kids these days have no idea how good they have it. Ever since the introduction of CDs and iTunes, mix tapes take so little time to make. And sadly they aren't even called tapes anymore. This generation is missing out. Whoa. Sorry I got a little nostalgic on you.

Kevin made Fletcher & Luke a mix CD this weekend.

Here are the 8 songs that are on it:
Jump
All-Star (from the movie Shrek)
Eye of the Tiger
We Are The Champions
We Will Rock You
The Final Countdown
Brown Eyed Girl
Life Is A Highway (from the movie Cars)

They love going in Fletcher's room, turning up the volume and dancing to the songs. There is nothing better than hearing a 21 month old sing "we will rock you" while watching him simultaneously trying to clap to the beat.

I'll explain why these songs are important tomorrow.

On another note -- I'm taking a reader poll. Throwback Thursdays? Love it? Hate it? Skip it? I'm trying to decide whether to continue Throwback or do something else. Any thoughts?

5 comments:

GranDee said...

I LOVE THROWBACK THURSDAYS - ALWAYS ANXIOUS TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE IN STORE FOR US = AND IF IT INCLUDES ANYTHING ABOUT "ME" heehee

All Things Istre of Katy said...

keep it! Mix tapes were the best. Sure beat buying full albums or tapes just for one song.

Traci said...

Keep it!

Thom Trahan said...

I like Throwback Thursdays too, but if you're strapped for content, consider doing it twice a month instead of EVERY Thursday.

Also, that mixtape is AWESOME. Eye of the Tiger?! Are you kidding me? I didn't even know it was legal to get kids that pumped up.

I think I need a copy.

Georgia Girl said...

So funny...I am just reading this post on Monday and was totally reminiscing about creating mixed tape recordings this weekend. iTunes has totally taken that away from our kids generation.