Friday, February 6, 2009

Picky, Picky

I think I have mentioned this before on this blog, but I was a very picky eater growing up. Nowadays, most pediatricians tell parents of picky eaters to "serve a wide variety of foods", "don't make it a battle", and "they'll eat when they are hungry". Well, I was a little on the thin side and I was very stubborn. I think my parents were concerned that I would starve just to prove my point so eating was always a battle. I'm thankful now that they made me try new things and didn't make any special accomodations or meals for me. As I grew older, I did start eating a wider variety of foods, but I'm still not the most adventurous eater in the world.

Can I just tell you that I am very thankful that my boys are not like me when it comes to food!!! I worried that my children would also be picky eaters. But these boys continually amaze me with what they will eat.

The other day I made a spinach salad and Fletcher ate it for dinner and the again for lunch the next day. Spinach! I know some adults who don't eat that. A few nights ago we had a different kind of lettuce with our dinner. We had finished eating and Fletcher said, "I'm still hungry." I asked him what he wanted and he said (I am not making this up), "I think I'll have more salad."

I bought some cauliflower the other day because it was on sale. I found a recipe that was basically baking it in olive oil and garlic until it was crunchy. Luke ate a huge serving that night at dinner and ate more the next day! Cauliflower.

I realize they won't always necessarily be like this, but it sure is nice right now. I want to document it so later on when they won't eat certain things I can remind them of how it used to be.

2 comments:

Georgia Girl said...

As long as we call it steak, Caleb will try most meat at least once, including venison. Seems he's into Mac & Cheese the most right now, though. I've never been able to get a bite of salad in his mouth. Do they make salad that looks like Mac & Cheese??

Georgia Girl said...

I finally took a moment to see your site at home versus work (again...shhhh...don't tell) and I love the banner. I can't see that at work. It's darling.