Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

That's French for "Let the good times roll."

Today is Mardi Gras. Fat Tuesday.

It's just one more reason for people in Louisiana to have a party. I can say that because I grew up in Louisiana. However, I really didn't participate in the festivities since most of them were in New Orleans and my family wasn't Catholic. Now the festivities have permeated the state and spilled over into other states so lots of people celebrate Mardi Gras before Ash Wednesday kicks in.

Do you want to know just how big of a deal Mardi Gras is in Louisiana?

I was in college - COLLEGE - before I realized that everyone everywhere didn't get a few days off for Mardi Gras as a holiday. I just thought everyone got off school or work for Mardi Gras because we always did. My college friends from north Louisiana had heard about Mardi Gras holidays but never got to experience them. I had to laugh because my very Baptist, very anti-partying college still had a "Spring Holiday" that always coincided with Mardi Gras. Every. Single. Year. Coincidence? I think not.

So here's to plastic babies in King Cakes and beads and parades and Krewes and all that jazz.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler indeed!

No comments: