Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thankful Thursday

This one may sound a little bit corny, but today I am thankful for modern day conveniences like electricity, hot running water, and the microwave. Last Saturday our power went out at about 1:30 pm. Not a huge deal since we have lots of windows and the kids were playing outside anyway. But the power stayed off and it started getting dark. Kevin was bathing the boys by candlelight because their bathroom doesn't have a window. Open flame + boys = potential disaster. I couldn't cook anything for dinner because my electric stove didn't work. Luke started getting fussy because it was dark in the house and he couldn't see his toys or see to walk around. We couldn't find most of our flashlights and we didn't have batteries for the flashlights we could find. Can we say unprepared? We ended up ordering pizza and right as we got home, the electricity came back on (of course).

I have friends and family who have gone weeks without electricity and potable water because of the recent hurricanes. They make do with generators, candles, and lots of canned tuna, I suppose. My friend who lives in Africa says her electricity goes off all the time for no apparent reason. And she has no idea when it might come back on.

So that is what I am thankful for today. How about you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You left canned cold spaghettios off your list of ways to make do. I am definitely thankful for our modern day conveniences!

Thom Trahan said...

I second the canned spaghettio's response. I think if there is ever some massive, world ending asteroid collision or something, and I happen to survive, I'm going to raid every grocery store that I can find for their spaghettios. I don't think they ever go bad.

Vonda said...

Girl I am thankful for the USA...despite the recent elections, we still live in the best country in the world. Living in Germany for 3 years has made us realize how good we have it in the good ole USA. The convenience of going to Walmart or Target at 2 a.m. or getting a Chick-Fil-A or having great customer service is something to NOT take for granted. I like your "Thankful Thursday's"...I may have to copy that one.