Monday, September 22, 2008

Random Thoughts

I had all kinds of ideas swirling in my head, but couldn't decide what to write about so here are a few random thoughts and feelings from our weekend.

Thankful
Yesterday was the first Sunday in months that Luke didn't cry in the nursery. I actually sat through an entire sermon without my number flashing on the JumboTron. At one point a number did flash up there and I was certain it would be Luke's. But I looked at our tag and it wasn't. Kevin and I gave each other silent high fives. Maybe with enough prayer and Cheerios, he'll get past this separation anxiety.

Seriously?
We live on the outskirts of a big city. We used to get the "big city" newspaper, but Kevin started getting the local county paper so he would know what was going on in the county for his job. I cancelled our "big city" subscription. Today the county paper had a special insert with their Readers' Choice Awards. I was hopeful that I might find out about some cool new hole-in-the-wall restaurant or funky boutique. Favorite pizza? Cici's. Favorite Italian food? Pizza Hut. I am not kidding. Best place to buy clothes? Wal-mart. Now I am not knocking Wal-mart. But in a county this size surely there are a few clothing stores other than Wal-mart. I think I'll stick to shopping in the big city.

Worst Mother of the Year Award
Goes to me. Saturday at the park. The weather here has been so nice recently so we decided to take the boys to the park on Saturday to play and ride bikes. I was holding Luke's hand while he walked on the sidewalk, but I was looking up and watching Fletcher at the same time. Luke stumbled, but since I had one of his hands and didn't realize he was falling, he couldn't put his hands down to break the fall. He did a full face plant on the concrete. The kind that makes the other parents around you gasp in horror. He was screaming as I picked him up. He immediately got a massive goose egg on his forehead. I'm thinking "concussion" or "brain trauma". We tried to put an ice pack on it (we had one in our snack bag). Have you ever tried to put an ice pack on a 1 year old? Yeah, let me know how that goes for you. He just wanted to get down and play. He seems fine today and the goose egg is looking better. This is that age where they fall alot. I can't keep him in a protective bubble, but sometimes I'd like to at least make him wear a helmet.

No comments: