Monday, September 8, 2008

From Humble Beginnings

A few months back I posted a list of all the jobs I've had. I thought it would be fun for you to see Kevin's list of jobs. He gave me his list, but of course I had to add some commentary here and there. My comments are in italics.

Brookfield West (country club and golf course)– Range Boy; listened to lots of heavy metal while trying to stay awake on the tractor. Always startled when cage rattled by flying golf ball.

Brookfield West – Shoe Shine Boy – humble beginnings. I wasn't very good at this.

Brookfield West – Bag Room/Cart Boy – the pinnacle of part time golf course jobs

Chick-fil-a – evening shift – I actually received a nickel raise to keep pace with starting wages. You would think that was embarrassing. I was actually proud of it.
This job ended when he refused to clean the women's restroom.

Oshman's Sporting Goods – sporting goods "expert". I made up a lot of crap about stuff I had never used. This is why I rarely, if ever, believe salespeople when they start talking about the merits of a product. My gut tells me they are just making stuff up.

Atlanta National (another golf course)– Greenskeeper – lots of grass… lots of Copenhagen (thank God he kicked that habit)

Atlanta National – Caddie… think about the movie Caddie Shack.

Hump & Comp – Construction laborer – most physically demanding job I ever had
I had to get serious clarification on the name of this company because it just doesn't sound good and hey - this is family blog. The company was called "Humphries and Company" but they shortened it to this. All of their company gear (hats, tshirts, etc) had the nickname and a picture of a camel. Clever construction people.

Blood donor – Short lived opportunity (one donation)… folks got pretty upset about that one.

Pizza Hut – Lasted one night… I got suckered into it and never when back

Some random job at the Florida Capitol filing papers – don't really recall what division that was, but I'm sure it was important stuff. (Probably not the only thing he doesn't recall from his college days)

Wilma Inc. – College intern (worked for Dad) – Baptism into real estate

These were his big boy jobs after college:
Arthur Andersen – Real Estate Services Group; Valuation Service Group
He has some great stories from this place like how he once valued the wrong piece of property and how he had to value an ob/gyn practice and they wanted to give waaaaay too many details to him.

Ankle & Foot Centers (American Medial Providers) – Senior Analyst/Treasurer
This is the job that brought him from Atlanta to Houston to meet me**.

The St. Joe Company – Senior Analyst; Creative Services; Development Coordinator; Construction Administrator; Assistant Development Manager; RiverCamps Development Manager; Project Manager – Eastern Region (this is the job that took us to Florida from Houston)

Newland Communities – Project Manager – Eastern Region (this is the job that brought us to the Carolinas)

Thanks for sharing, Kev. **Someday soon I'll have to blog about how Kevin and I met and how he moved away to Florida two weeks before our wedding. Good times. No, really.

No comments: