Monday, September 29, 2008

Overheard


Luke is finally getting to the age where he and Fletcher can actually play together. It is fun to see them interact and watch their different personalities come out. Both of my children have some typical tendencies related to their birth order. I have a "follow the rules at all costs" child and I also have a "rules are really just suggestions" child. Here are two recent scenarios overheard at our house.

Scene 1
I am in the kitchen unloading the dishwasher. The boys are in Luke's room playing.

Luke is laughing. Hard. One of those big belly laughs that you wish you could get on tape.

Fletcher says in a stern big brother tone, "Luke, it is not funny. That is not funny at all. Luke, stop. Quit laughing."

Luke continues to laugh even harder.

Fletcher, in a completely exasperated tone, "Luuuuuuuke (Fletcher makes Luke's one syllable name into about 12 syllables when he is frustrated with him), I said to stop."
This goes back and forth for awhile unti they find something else to play.

I still am not completely sure what Luke was doing to frustrate Fletcher. I decided to let them figure it out on their own and only intervene if I heard screaming by one or both parties. I asked Fletcher about it later and he said that Luke had dumped the toys out of a box and had flipped the box over and was standing on it.

Scene 2
Saturday morning Kevin and I are in the home office looking at the computer. Again, the boys are in Luke's room playing.

Luke let's out one of his grunt/scream combos. It is his way of letting everyone around him know that things are not going his way or that he wants a toy or that he is generally not happy with you. The scream is enough to make Sadie's hair stand on end.

Fletcher says in a huff, "Luke, I am just not liking your attitude this morning."

Wonder where he's heard that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your stories always give me a good laugh first thing in the a.m.

I know exactly where he heard that. :)