Friday, April 16, 2010

Thanks, Curious George!

I'm pretty good at editing on the fly when I am reading with Fletcher. We've read a few books that have had odd subject matter so I usually just substitute words or leave out parts altogether (like a book about getting a cat from the animal shelter and having it spayed or neutered first - not going there).

Anyway, I was reading Curious George to both boys. Luke was listening but being very wiggly so I wasn't "on my game."

Here is what I read from "Curious George Learns The Alphabet"

The small g is a goldfish. He is in a glass bowl and looks gay.

Oops.

Fletcher: Mom, what does "gay" mean?
Mom: It means "happy."
Fletcher: Oh, then I'm gay.
Mom: No, no you are not. That's not really a word we use much anymore. People just use the word "happy". You can say, "I'm happy."
Fletcher: Oh, okay.
Mom: There are some words in our language that people used to use alot like when Curious George was written, but they don't use those words anymore.
Fletcher: Like what?
Mom: um....well....I'll have to think of some.

For the life of me I couldn't think of any other words like "gay" that people no longer use in it's original context. Help me out. Can you think of any?

1 comment:

Monette said...

I know one, pimp...apparently now that means "cool and in style" and not "the boss of a prostitute", but that's not really a good example for Fletcher ...then there's hoe. The Garden tool?...no that's not good either. I think awful used to mean "good or extremely" and now it means "terrible". There you go...I'm always here for you, sis :)