Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Crockpot Gardening

There's a crockpot cookbook called "Fix-It and Forget-It."

I wish gardening were that way. I wish I could just buy the plants, plant them, turn the garden on then reap the harvest in 7-8 weeks. Wouldn't that be awesome? But if gardening were easy, everyone would be doing it and we wouldn't need produce sections of grocery stores.

After our miserable attempt at a garden last year, we are trying again this year. We are gluttons for punishment I suppose. I decided to skip the spring garden altogether since we planted on Feb. 15 then it snowed on March 1. Yeah, snow isn't good for brand new plants.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to mess with it again this year. But then something happened.

We had four blueberry bushes in pots around our garden. I bought the plants at Sams so I didn't exactly have high hopes for them. They sat in those pots through freezing temperatures and three snowfalls. They were nothing but twigs sticking out of the dirt. But when spring came, Kevin walked in one afternoon and said, "Your blueberry bushes have leaves on them."

Seriously? I hadn't done anything with them all winter. I assumed they were dead.

So my interest in gardening was renewed.

This year's crop includes: tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, jalapenos, yellow squash, California bell peppers, yellow banana peppers, sugar baby watermelons (the little kind), cilantro, basil, and some slicing cucumbers. We decided to skip the strawberries this year.

It is raining here so I didn't get a picture yet. Stay tuned for updates.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I can promise you one things Rachel...if you water your basil ever now and then, it will grow like a weed. So far that is the only thing that has survived since Joel and I got married...and it has moved in it's pot at least 3 times.