Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sooner Rather Than Later


Instead of a gymnast, picture Luke. Instead of a high bar, picture the rail to Luke's crib. And now picture Luke with arms straight like hers leaning over the edge of the crib rail. Leaning. Far. Feet not on mattress. I have a slight heart attack. He did this when I went in to get him after his nap Monday afternoon.

Insert note: Children have a higher center of gravity because their heads weigh more than the rest of their body so the chances of him falling out on his head are pretty high. Good to know we sort of even out as adults.

Back to story: I was going to wait until Luke was closer to 2 1/2 to take him out of his crib and put him in a toddler bed. With Fletcher we did toddler bed and potty training right about the same time. But because of the above incident (it actually happened twice), we decided that Monday night was the night to move to a toddler bed. We just couldn't risk him flipping out. The boys' schedules are all messed up anyway because of the time change so why not add another change. Luke did remarkably well. We made a big deal of his "big boy bed" and new sheets with construction vehicles on them. He stayed in his bed all night. It took him awhile to fall asleep, but once he did, he was out.

As Kevin and I were falling asleep Monday night I was reminded of something else I had read recently on another blog (but I can't remember which one). The writer/mom was saying that as parents we measure alot of firsts - first bath, first tooth, first smile, first food, first steps, first words. But we seldom measure the "lasts" because we don't know it is the last - last bottle, last time to wear a favorite outfit, last time to rock him to sleep. I did get a little weepy realizing that Monday afternoon was the last time he would sleep in his crib and I would get to go in and take him out of his crib. Maybe I was alot weepy. (Kevin said he would remind me of this when I changed the last poopy diaper.)

I'm gonna miss this.
This picture was taken when Luke first learned to pull up in his crib. Long before I thought he could do it.

We'll get big boy bed pictures up soon.

1 comment:

Georgia Girl said...

I cried the night Caleb first slept in his bed. And now I am going to cherish each morning even more when I see Maddy's head pop up over the crib bumper and I hear her little arms and legs "swimming" around in there!