Monday, November 9, 2009

Moved To Tears

A little background info: Ever since he was born, Fletcher has listened to music at naptime and bedtime to fall asleep. Specifically, he has listened to a CD called Bedtime Prayers: Lullabies and Peaceful Worship by Twila Paris. When we moved Luke to his toddler bed from his crib, we borrowed Fletcher's CD player and Lullabies CD so Luke could listen to it too. Luke loves the CD as well and says, "Turn dat ting on" (pointing to the CD player) when he gets in his bed.

So I bought a new CD player for Fletcher and decided to make him a new CD as well. They've been studying classical composers at school so I thought he might like a CD of "famous" classical music. I happened to have one on iTunes that I had downloaded for free awhile back so I made him a copy.

This may be the longest background info in the history of blogging.

Anyway, the first song on the CD (should CD be capitalized or not? It looks weird to write cd.). Wait. Where was I? The first song on the CD is "Canon in D". As we were listening to it, I told Fletcher that song was in our wedding. Later, Kevin heard it and said, "That song was in our wedding." Kevin thinks he should get extra husband points for still remembering eleven and a half years later that this song was in our wedding.

Well, the next time Fletcher starts playing the CD before bedtime, he starts crying. Really crying. Real tears. We cannot figure out what is wrong. I'm thinking he is sick. Kevin picks him up and asks why he is crying. I kid you not, this is what he said: It's just that this song is so lovely, it makes me cry. I wish I could have been there at your wedding to see it.

Yes, he used the word "lovely."

This is from my child who rejoiced with Kevin when he killed a deer. Then went with Kevin to the deer processing place to pick up the venison and watched the other hunters bring their field dressed deer in from the field to be processed and didn't blink an eye. He did say it smelled bad. Same child who didn't bat an eyelash when we went to see Charlotte's Web and Charlotte dies.

At first I thought it was just a random thing - the crying. But now he cries every single time he hears that song. He will turn on his CD in the morning before 7:00 (he isn't allowed to come out of his room until then) and we can hear him crying. It has gotten to the point that he asks us to skip that song when we start his CD at night. I showed him our wedding pictures thinking that would help, but I think that made it worse. We do have a video of our wedding, but it is on VHS and we don't have a VCR and we aren't getting one for that. I told him I would look in to converting our wedding tape to a DVD so he could watch our wedding.

I'm glad to know my boy still has a tender side. Who knew "Canon in D" could have such an effect.


No comments: