Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Another One Bites The Dust

Once upon a time a deer went out into the woods to frolick and play and perhaps find some food. A nibble here, a munch there. He was enjoying the cool weather minding his own business.


Then KABLAM!




The End.


The deer went to the processor and the 8 point antlers or rack or horns or whatever you call them came home to our house. Fletcher was beyond thrilled to see Dad's trophy and the accompanying photos. This was Kevin's first deer of the season. Our freezer will have lots of venison in it.

I grew up in Louisiana and I know plenty of people who hunt all sorts of things - deer, ducks, geese, dove, etc. But my dad didn't hunt so I wasn't exposed to it directly (no mounted racks in our living room, in other words). I even went duck hunting once with a guy from college. Miserable, cold, wet, muddy experience for me. Something about hunting just gives me the heebie jeebies. I eat beef and chicken so it's not like I'm a vegetarian or anything. I just can't get past the mental part of venison. Maybe I watched Bambi too much as a child. However, I try to keep my mouth shut because I know Kevin enjoys hunting and I am sure Fletcher and Luke will enjoy it someday too. Maybe those days will have to be spa days for me...

2 comments:

saintdee01 said...

yippee KEV.
CONGRATS ON SHOOTING YOUR FIRST DEER. I BET FLETCHER CAN'T WAIT TO GO WITH YOU
LOVE Y'ALL

Aunt Monette said...

I like that...spa days...can Dave go hunting too?