Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Now I Know

I've said on this blog before that I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather.  If it is below about 70 degrees, I just get so cold and have a hard time warming back up.  My Maryland friend laughs at my wimpiness (if that's a word). 

Well, Friday was a Field Trip day for the kids and we went to a really cool kids museum.  They had a thermography camera there.  Think about what you would see if you looked through night vision goggles using infared technology.  This camera was similar.  The warmest parts are colored the lighest (bright white, yellow, orange), the intermediate temps are red and the cold temps are anywhere from blue to dark purple to black. 

I took pictures as proof.  I didn't believe it at first.  And I made about 10 other people come stand next to me for comparison purposes.  Now keep in mind it was a cold day, but we had been in the museum for over an hour so it's not like I just walked in from the cold. 

 My friend is on the left holding the camera in one hand and holding her hand out for comparison purposes.  I am on the right.  Note that her hands are bright yellow (as were everyone elses who came to the camera) indicating warmth.  Notice my hands are purple and black on the fingertips!!!!  Not yellow, not red.  But purple and black which means NO HEAT, NO WARMTH.  Doesn't even register.  Disturbing?  Yes.  Very. 
She then pointed out (ever so kindly) that my nose was black too.  Yes, it is always cold.  If we weren't in a public place with lots of people, I would have taken my shoes off to see if my feet were like my hands. I have a sad feeling they might be worse. 

Now I am a little freaked out.  I don't think anyone has ever died from cold hands and feet, but I suppose I need to mention it to the doctor the next time I see him to make sure there isn't anything wrong with me.  It is always a little disturbing to find out that something about yourself is not normal.  But now when people tease me, I have photographic evidence that I really am a wimp. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just found your blog after seeing this post on facebook... glad I found it! What museum were you at? It looks great!