Monday, January 17, 2011

Money Well Spent

A few days ago I ran into Target to pick up a few things.  As I was walking in, two women were walking out with carts filled with toys.  Nothing else but toys.  At first I thought it was strange, but then I remembered that someone told me Target does a twice a year toy clearance (once after Christmas and once at the end of the summer) where toys are marked down as much as 75% off.  Since I was by myself I decided to just go look.  Since we just had Christmas it's not like my kids need any new toys.  But I thought I might find a few things to add to my gift stash for upcoming birthday parties.

Then I saw it.  On one of the bottom shelves.  The box looked worn and beat up.  There was a shipping label and address on it like someone had bought it online but returned it to the store.  My friend had one of these and the boys loved it.  I had looked into getting one, but they were in the $80-120 range and I didn't think they were worth that much.  But this one was on clearance for $40.  Score!

Putting it together was a challenge and a test of our marital fortitude if there is such a thing.  But once we got it put together, it looks sturdy and it will help two little boys get out some of their boundless energy this winter when it is too cold to go outside.  I'm kinda bummed that the weight limit is 80 lbs otherwise I might join them. 

Oh, and by the way, I've given up on the dining room.  It has slowly turned into a playroom.  We took the leaf out of the dining table to make it smaller.  Fletcher uses it to build his legos.  Luke's truck has a parking place there too.  I figure I have the rest of my life to have a fancy dining room that never gets used.  These days will be gone before I know it so I might as well embrace the chaos! 

2 comments:

Traci said...

We bought Breck the same one for Christmas last year. Bear always liked to jump on it too, but I definitely don't have room in my house for something like that. Awesome price though!! I heard about the Target toy sale, but I didn't get a chance to go by there.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the house, Rachel. One year the boys got scooters for Christmas, and since it was pouring rain that day, they rode them around and around inside the house! Precious memories for all of us.