Friday, November 19, 2010

The Show Must Go On

This was Luke's debut performance at his preschool holiday program. They've been working on these songs and the pledge for weeks. While he had practiced in that very same room many times before the performance, he had never done it with 40 or so parents watching him all holding video cameras. I love how God makes each child unique. If you recall (if not, click here for a reminder), Fletcher is my very social child. He thrives on being with people and so being on a stage and performing is right up his alley. Luke, on the other hand, prefers smaller groups. Often if we have other kids over to play, he will play for a while and then he will go play by himself. It's like being around lots of people for too long is draining for him and he needs time to recharge his batteries. I'm sort of like that too. He loves, loves, loves to sing and we constantly hear him singing at home when he is awake and when he is supposed to be going to sleep or napping. He likes to listen to music in the car and always asks for me to "turn it up wouder." So I wondered how he would do today. Singing + crowd = ?

Note his long hair that I mentioned in yesterday's post.  And his cute sweater.  That's a truck with pumpkins in it.  So cute. 

My first clue should have been his hesitation at the door when he saw all the people.  The poor boy next to him kept his eyes covered.  I guess he thought "If I can't see them, they can't see me."  (I didn't show it in the video because I had to edit it down, but the teachers did help the crying boy off the stage and his parents took over.)  I have to explain the last part.  After he'd had enough, Luke just walked off the stage and came and sat in my lap.  He would NOT go back up and stand with his class and sing.  He was done.  Kevin tried to convince him.  I tried.  We bribed him with the promise of cookies afterwards.  Wasn't happening. So for posterity's sake I turned the camera on and video taped him watching instead of singing Jingle Bells - his current favorite song.  His teacher told me afterwards that she almost called me the night before the show to tell me that she wasn't sure he would actually stand up and do it.  I told her that I had the same feeling, but I thought he might surprise me. 

I did ask him what he leaned over and told his little friend who was covering his eyes.  Luke said he told him, "It gonna be ok."  How sweet is that?!

The funniest part was not caught on tape.  I put Luke down for his nap and he didn't sleep probably because of all the cookies he ate after his performance.  Instead, there in his dark room, he sang every single song he was supposed to sing for his performance.  If I could have figured out a way to sneak the video camera in his room I would have. 

Oh Luke, Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you and whether you sing with the crowd or sing all by yourself at the top of your lungs in your room.   We will always love you and we love the way God made you!

Psalm 139:14

No comments: