Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dun Dun Dun DunDa Dun DunDa Dun

The Friday before Halloween a friend and I decided it would be fun to carve pumpkins with the boys.  I wanted to do a very simple, basic, traditional, not too difficult jack-o-lantern face consisting of triangle eyes, a triangle nose and a zig zag mouth.  My friend is the artsy type.  She thought the boys would enjoy something related to Star Wars since they were both dressing up as Star Wars characters.   I am not at all confident in my artistic abilities.  When I taught Geometry, my students made fun of the triangles I drew if that tells you anything.  But I stretched myself to my artistic limits (and my hand and arm are still sore from all the punching and sawing and teeny tiny details). 

Oh and the "with the boys" part?  They were in the kitchen for approximately 2 mintues - long enough to take obligatory photos then they were off to play leaving the moms with all the work and the clean up.  They did come back later and try the pumpkin seeds we roasted. 

The light saber fighting while mom prepares.


 Luke getting in on the action.
 Removing the top and seeing the stringy insides.  Ewwww!
 Fletcher and Tucker decidee they want to help me scoop out the insides.  I brought gloves for me to use, but they wanted to use them too.  I am not a big fan of sticky stuff getting on my fingers. 
 Fletcher went to town.  Tucker not so much. 
 In fact, Teresa (Tucker's mom) captured him throwing up a little bit in his mouth. 

Luke wanted to try too. 
 The goggles - just in case any pumpkin guts splattered out. 
 Note that there are two pumpkins here.  We realized that we were going to have to make two Star Wars characters because if we only made one then whose house would it go to?  Both boys would want it. 
 The finished product.  May the force be with you. 
I told Teresa that next year I'm choosing the theme and the template.  :)

P.S.  The title is supposed to be the Star Wars theme music.  Do you hear it now? 

2 comments:

Vonda said...

OH Rachel I'm just loving these pictures! You're such a great sport! And girl let me tell ya...I have a feeling you won't be picking the theme next year either...you are outnumbered with all these boys!!! And girl if that's your kitchen, that's an AWESOME kitchen...ya know the things we women notice right! WOW!!!

rg said...

Thanks, Vonda! I am definitely outnumbered. At least my dog is female! That's my friend Teresa's kitchen. Isn't it beautiful? The funniest thing in it is a sign above the sink that says "I kiss better than I cook." Her husband who built the house made this elaborate kitchen just for her in the hopes that would motivate her to cook. Didn't happen. But she loves to have people over and share her home!