Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Self, Party of One?

Kevin had a late meeting last night.

Luke decided not to take a nap yesterday afternoon. 

I let Fletcher and Luke call Kevin to say good night and tell him about their days at school and preschool.  We were all on speaker phone. 

Fletcher:  I had a good day.  I didn't have to stand.
Dad:  Good job, buddy.  I am proud of you.
Luke:  I didn't have to stand.  (They don't use this as a punishment at preschool, but Luke likes to say it too because he knows it is a good thing )
Dad:  You didn't have to stand either, Luke?  That's great. 
Fletcher:  Luke didn't have a very good day.  (note how he throws his brother under the bus)
Dad:  Luke, what happened? 
Luke:  (silence)
Fletcher:  Do you want me to tell him or you tell him?
Fletcher:  (not waiting for an answer) Luke took all his books off his bookshelf and wouldn't pick them up so he got a spanking.
Fletcher:  AND he didn't take a nap today.
Dad:  Luke?  You are supposed to listen and obey when Mama tells you to do something.
Luke:  (silence)
Mom:  So Luke, what do you have to say for yourself?
Luke:  Sorry, Self.

Why do I feel like he missed the point entirely?  As a side note, we generally do not encourage tattling in our house.  We have to remind Fletcher quite often.  

No comments: