Thursday, July 8, 2010

Here We Go

I am not good at home decorating. At all.

I try not to compare, but I see catalog photos or pictures of other people's houses and start to feel inadequate.

We moved into our current house the day we brought Luke home from Florida.

Literally.

I had a newborn in one arm and rooms full of boxes everywhere.

It was a little overwhelming to say the least. Unpack, feed, change, sleep, repeat.

I tried to put together a few "decorative" things here and there, but nothing major since I'm not sure what goes well together. I also acknowledge the fact that I have two boys. Two boys who like to have light saber fights in the living room. And wrestle. And jump on the furniture when mom is not looking. Those reasons alone are why we have nothing on the coffee table, nothing on the end tables and no lamps. Luke shattered one of them when he first started learning to walk. I learned my lesson quickly. I need functional, fun, durable, not fussy, but cute and stylish. That's overwhelming too! I enjoy the searching and shopping part when I know what to shop for. Therein lies the problem.

Well, help is on the way. I hope.

A former college student from our college ministry days got her degree in interior design and she is starting her own virtual design consulting business. I love her as a person. Really like her sense of style too. So I'm going to try her services. I'll send her room dimensions, photos, likes and dislikes, what has to stay, what can go and she'll send me an assessment, suggestions for furniture placement, accessories, etc.

I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully, with before and after pictures.

No comments: