Thursday, March 18, 2010

Everybody Out Of The Pool

I'm going to put this disclaimer up front. This post is about p00p. I really try to stay away from this topic on the blog but today I am making an exception. So if you are not into hearing about or reading about p00p, please move on to another website at this time.

Potty training is just one of those things that every parent has to address at some point. Whether they do it at age 2, 3 or sometimes even 4 depends on the parent and the child. We trained Fletcher at about 2 1/2. He was pretty easy because he is very predictable. P00ped every morning after breakfast. I could count on it. Plus he really liked to be read to so we could bring a stack of library books into the bathroom and read while he took care of business (try not to think about that the next time you check out library books).

I'm not sure what to do about Luke. On the one hand he seems young but he is actually the same age as Fletcher was when we trained him. He also goes to preschool and several of the kids in his class are either already trained or currently training so there's some positive peer pressure. But I worry it might be a little early. However, as kids gets closer to 3, they seem to develop minds of their own and can be a little more stubborn when it comes to the potty. We've been talking about Potty Day when we will say "Bye bye diapers" and "Hello big boy underpants". We've also talked about getting M&Ms for going to the potty. So he know it's coming.

Wednesday just Luke and I were home after lunch. He acted like he was about to p00p so I said, "Are you getting that feeling in your bottom? Let's go sit on the potty." He willingly went so I grabbed a stack of books and we started reading. We put his little potty in the hallway because their bathroom is somewhat small. Well, it took about 4 books, but he took care of both items of business. He either didn't realize it or wasn't sure what to do because he continued to sit. So I said, "Let's look in the potty."

Remember this post?

Yeah.

Not quite the same reaction but very close. He said, "That scaring me" while I am trying be all upbeat and positive saying, "Good job, buddy. High five. You p00ped in the potty! Now you get M&M's." We had to take the removeable bowl and bring it to the bathroom to flush it and then wash hands. He kept saying, "What that brown thing? I don't like that brown thing. That brown thing is scaring me." (I warned you not to read this.....) While I am glad he is displaying his knowlege of colors, I was surprised he was scared and not excited. So I'm trying to clean everything up, get his pants back on , explain what the brown thing was all while trying to be excited. And I couldn't help but think of the pool scene in Caddyshack.

He had his M&Ms and we called Dad at work. Of course, he kept talking about the brown thing and I think Kevin was in a meeting (oops). Let's just hope no one else could hear the conversation.

I'm thinking we are going to have to get rid of the little potty and go directly to the big toilet so the brown thing can be flushed immediately.

The verdict is still out as to whether we might do potty training over spring break (the week after Easter) or wait a few more months at the end of May after preschool is over. If I wait, then he doesn't have the benefit of seeing other kids do it and "practicing" with them. If we do it now and he catches on then we can be done and not have to worry about it this summer. He has to be trained by the time he starts preschool next fall. They don't let kids in the 3 yr old class if they aren't trained.

Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

All Things Istre of Katy said...

I needed a good laugh today, and you accomplished that for me.

Georgia Girl said...

Ugh, I'm so not looking forward to having to do this all over again. Caleb had just turned 3 and thankfully they worked with him in his new class. We just sent LOTS of extra clothes and they took care of the rest. We still aren't sleeping in underwear, though. I just don't think he's ready.

I have read how some kids get freaked out when they see their bm in the potty because they think of it as an extension of themselves and like they've lost something. Gross, huh?

BTW...Caleb is scared of the flowers on our Christmas cactus. He's actually scared of lots of stuff. We spray for "monsters" using a pretend motion of an aerosol spray. Maybe you need a de-fuzzer.