Friday, October 9, 2009

The World of Fletcher

Breakfast -- another conversation about age

Fletcher: Mom, you are the oldest one in our family.
Mom: mmm, yeah.
Fletcher: Well, you are not as old as Poppa Floyd.... or MawMaw and PawPaw.
Mom: true
Fletcher: But you are the oldest person in this family in this house.
Mom: yes
Fletcher: even though you are kinda skinny and not as tall as Dad.

Well, alrighty then.
----------------------------------
Conversation after school (He goes to a Christian school and the whole school begins their day with an assembly time of music, scripture and sometimes skits.)

Mom: What did you learn at assembly today?
Fletcher: Um... I learned that we are all deeply fallen.
Mom: That's right. (At this point I am really impressed with not only the fact they are teaching theology but also the fact that he remembered what they taught)
Fletcher: I'm deeply fallen. You are deeply fallen. Dad is deeply fallen. Even Luke is deeply fallen.
Mom: Yes, we all are. What does "deeply fallen" mean?
Fletcher: I don't really remember.

Ok, so I am still impressed... I think.

------------------------------
Getting into the car at carpool line

Fletcher: Mom! Look! Our teacher gave each of us a hummus stone. It has holes in it.
Mom: I think you might mean "pumice" stone.

------------------------------

Fletcher: When I'm a parent and have my own house, I am going to make up my own rules.
Mom: Really?
Fletcher: Yes.
Mom: Are you going to make your children say, "Yes sir" and "No sir" to you?
Fletcher: Yes
Mom: What other kinds of rules will you have?
Fletcher: We are going to pray together and read the Bible.
Mom: Oh, those are good ones.

(While I hope he doesn't see praying and reading the Bible as "rules" in our house, I am glad he wants to incorporate that into his own home someday. Maybe we are doing something right after all. )

No comments: