Thursday, October 1, 2009

News Flash

This probably won't matter to most people, but I just found out today that Prescriptives (the cosmetic line whose parent company is Estee Lauder) is going out of business. The struggling economy has hurt their sales beyond recovery.

In the words of Scooby Doo, "Ruh Roh."

I've used Prescriptives ever since my senior year in college when my once blemish-free face freaked out with horrible acne. Never had zits all throughout middle school and high school then I turn 21 and BAM! I could have been the "Before" picture on the Proactiv infomercial. Probably had something to do with the stress of graduating from college, finding a job and moving from a town of 13,000 people to a city of 4 million people all by myself.

Whoa. Getting way off topic there. Back to Prescriptives. A dermatologist recommended that I try foundation that was oil free and powder that was talc free. At the time Prescriptives was the only cosmetics company making anything like that. It was pricey on a 1st year teacher's salary, but it worked. I've used the concealer, foundation and powder ever since. Except for once when I tried another hoity toity brand. I thought I was all cool and hip. Then after using it for several weeks, I saw a picture of myself and I looked yellow. I guess no one had the guts to tell me my makeup made me look like a yellow Oompa Loompa. I vowed never to stray again. I've played around with different brands of blush, lipstick, mascara, etc. But that's different.

Now I have to start over. In the grand scheme of things, it is not a big deal. But I can be resistant to change. The good news is that there are lots more options to choose from these days. The bad news is that it takes time and money to sample new products and decide if they will work. They don't go under completely until January 2010. Maybe I could come up with a mathematical formula to figure out how much makeup I would need for the rest of my life and just buy a huge stockpile before it is all gone. I'd have to convince Kevin....but my plan just might work.

If you've read this far and haven't fallen asleep and want more details, you can read the press release here.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

being the Bath and Body Works girl that I am...ie obsessed with all things skin related;) Sephora is a great source of different types of skin care. Philosophy has some great stuff and Bare Minerals has a $10 trial pack..but everything at that store...is returnable...even after you use it. If you get a reaction, take it back, get a full refund or exchange it for something else to try.
I am BIG on being able to return or exchange if I have a reaction or I find out I am orange when I get home;) They also have a great reward system for samples of new products, which is pretty nice to.

Georgia Girl said...

I am all about try before you buy and I despise having to stand in a store arena to find that perfect match (esp with child in tow). Therefore, I am personally a beauty consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics. You may have heard of it. I would be thrilled to have your opinion of the products. They are top quality with bargain prices, and backed with the integrity I look for in business. Now that I've given my 2 cents - if you're interested let me know and maybe we can do lunch or something. And if you are totally uninterested, I won't be offended one bit. :-) Toodles!

Unknown said...

Definitely Bare Minerals! Plus, the "foundation" powders are all non-toxic. ;)

rg said...

I did not know makeup would generate so many comments! I like it. I will definitely start the research process and post my progress!