Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Japanese Food For Thought

I was nervous in church on Sunday.

Our church does that "Shake hands and greet your neighbor" after the first song thing.

I dislike the "Shake hands and greet your neighbor" after the first song thing.

I like my church. I like my neighbors sitting in the chairs around me. Greeting is cool. But for the love of God do we have to shake hands? Who came up with that concept anyway? I've mentioned before that germs generally freak me out. I have bottles of hand sanitizer in my car, in my purse and on my kitchen counter. My kids pretty much know that anytime we get in the car after we've been in a store they have to have a shot of the sanitizer. On their hands. Guess I should use a word other than shot. We've received a letter from Luke's preschool that someone there was diagnosed with swine flu (not in his class). The flu (not sure if it is the swine version or not) has been going around like crazy here. So why invite anyone to willingly share their possible germs by shaking hands with 10 other people? When I think about the mathematically probability of the transference of germs in that two minute Shake and Greet session, my head wants to explode.

I have a suggestion.

Could we please just be like Japanese people for the next 6 months?

We could just smile and bow politely to one another when we need to greet someone whether it be at church or at the grocery store. No touching has to occur. Ever.

Or we could go back to the way it was in the 50's when men tipped their hats and ladies curtsied (no clue how to spell that - had to look it up).

I would be ok with that too.

Oh, and by the way, my church must have sensed my paranoia because they didn't do the "shake hands and greet your neighbor" after the first song thing on Sunday. Skipped right over it and went right into the next song. Props to our new worship leader. I'm hoping this is a new trend.

2 comments:

Georgia Girl said...

So on the same page with you! I used to pride myself in a strong handshake but now when anyone sticks their hand I want to run in horror. Anytime anyone holds a door open I'm always thinking, "Woohoo, didn't have to touch that one".

We had the flu in our house about 3 weeks ago. Caleb got sick the day before we left for the beach no less. If it is any consolation the nurse said if you were going to have a flu this one was better because it is shorter!

Oh - (and sorry this is so long but thought you'd appreciate this one). This morning C was using the restroom and I go in there to follow behind with wiping. He is a 3yo. And he's sticking his finger in my face saying he has poop on it. Lovely. At least he was trying to wash his hands in the sink. :-)

Meagan N. said...

How funny! At the church we visited a few weeks ago, the pastor said, "I promise I like you, but I will not shake your hand. I'm trying to stay well." On one hand, I understand, as I'm also paranoid about my baby getting sick and not being able to go to FL, but on the other, I hate the fear and anxiety that flu season brings every year.