Friday, March 27, 2009

Going Green

Most five year old boys love super heroes. Fletcher thinks Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc are really cool.

I was reading another mom blog recently and she was talking about getting more veggies into her kids. She said she made them "Incredible Hulk Smoothies" which were - you guessed it - GREEN! The secret ingredient was spinach which is really good for you for tons of reasons.

So this week Fletcher helped me make Incredible Hulk smoothies for breakfast(recipe at the end). Both boys loved it. They did taste really good although I have to admit they looked kinda gross. Just perfect for boys though.


Here's the finished product (I told you it didn't look so great).Luke having a taste test.

Fletcher showing off his Incredible Hulk muscles and his green mustache.


Luke copying his big brother and showing off his muscles too.


Here's the "recipe". I use that term loosely because I just sort of threw in what we had and didn't measure anything.

Green Smoothie
1 large handful of spinach (probably around 1 1/2 cups loosely packed)
1 frozen banana
5 frozen large strawberries
handful of frozen blueberries
1 small container of yogurt (I think it was 6 oz berry flavor but any would work)
1/2 cup or more of apple juice/orange juice (we happened to have a little of both - you'll have to play with the amount to get the consistency your kids will drink. I had to make it thin enough so Luke could suck it through his sippy straw)
Blend in a blender. I put the spinach in last and next time I will put it in first. I kept having to scrape down the sides to get the spinach to blend completely.

We will definitely be adding this to our breakfast rotation.

1 comment:

GranDee said...

I LOVE FLETCH'S GREEN MUSTACHE.....
CAPTION SHOULD READ
"GOT SMOOTHIE" heehee