Monday, March 9, 2009

Garden Update

We had wonderful weather here this weekend. The boys spent most of the day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday outside. Fletcher even got a sunburn on his neck and cheeks. I didn't even think about putting sunblock on him. Oops!

I was certain that we had killed our garden. With the freezing temps and the snow, I was mentally prepared that all of our plants would be dead. We tried to cover the garden every night the temps went below freezing, but we forgot one night. So many people told us we planted too early even though we were following the dates that the "master gardener" had given us.

I took these pictures at dusk - that is why they aren't great. Well, that and the fact that I am not a very good photographer in general. We were so caught up visiting with neighbors and watching the kids play that I forgot to take them until it was almost too late.

This is our buttercrunch lettuce planted from seeds (upclose shot of the teeny tiny leaves sprouting out of the dirt). The tiny blue flecks are explained in the next paragraph:

These are our carrots also planted from seeds- can you see the tiny green sprouts or should I say the tiny blurry green sprouts at the top center of the pic? Also note the blue flecks in the dirt to the left of the green sprouts. We went to all this trouble to get organic compost and organic seeds and then the tarp we used to cover the plants flaked off into the dirt. There's no way to pick it out or rake it out without messing up the plants. So now we have an "organic garden" with toxic blue plastic in the soil. I suppose you win some, you lose some.

More carrots. Onions to the left.



These are the strawberries planted from plants, not seeds. They are only so-so. There's actually some new growth of a few of the original plants. The nice green ones you see sticking up are new. My friend planted some and gave me 4 of her leftovers so we put those in just in case ours don't produce.



Let's observe a moment of silence for the broccoli and the onions which started as plants, not seeds (overhead shot). I don't think we can resurrect them. We'll see how they do, but let's just say I'm not counting on making chicken broccoli stir fry anytime soon. Even though we had the stakes up, the wind shifted some and part of the tarp fell on the onions crushing them.

No comments: