Thursday, July 17, 2008

Throwback Thursday

The date: the late 80's
The place: Pineville, Louisiana
The mood: you look at the pictures and you decideThis may come as a surprise to the masses, but I was in a band in college for almost 4 years. No autographs and no flash photography, please. We weren't just a singing group. We were a band with drums, bass guitar, keyboard, electric guitar and vocalists. We were cutting edge too because we sang some "praise choruses". Chris Tomlin was still in high school. David Crowder didn't even have facial hair much less a funky goatee. Our name - you might want to sit down for this one - Hosanna. Is that 80's enough for you. We sang at Sunday morning church services, youth retreats, Valentine's Day banquets, Friday night aftergame fellowships, Sunday night church services and anything else anyone would invite us to do. We travelled all over LA and TX in a van with no a/c that broke down ALOT. We didn't get paid. Imagine that. Churches gave us love offerings which were used to fund students going on summer mission trips from our college.

Five of my favorite things about Hosanna:

1. I loved the people in the group. It's a good thing because we spent almost every weekend together from Friday until Sunday night. Sometimes even later if the van broke down on the way home. Did I mention the van had no a/c? They were all as different as could be, but the unique personalities made every weekend unpredictable.

2. I loved the clothes. See the pictures. Really get a good look. We had outfits - either something denim and a solid color for casual concerts, black/white/red combos for more formal settings, and "modules" for other concerts. For those of you who did not grow up in the 80's, modules or units were cotton pieces of clothing in various solid colors that you could mix and match. The key was the stretchy belt that could be a solid, a pattern or even a print. If you were really trendy, you could put two belts together in a twisty sort of way and make knots, flowers, bows. The possibilities were endless! There was even a booklet to give you ideas of how to wear your modules. Guys did not wear modules; however they sometimes wore boleros instead of ties. Like I said. Cutting. Edge.

3. I loved the places we went and the people there. We saw places that I didn't even know existed. We got lost almost every weekend. Little bitty churches. Sometimes bigger churches. Always welcomed us with open arms. A town named Pumpkin Center where the water smelled like rotten eggs. Churches that fed us tuna sandwiches that had been sitting out all afternoon and resulted in a little thing we like to call food poisoning! The pastor who walked in on the girls changing clothes. Being stranded in Pearland, TX because of an ice storm. Breaking down on a military base and getting in trouble with the MP. People who sat through our LOUD music because they were thrilled to see college students doing something positive with their lives.

4. I loved the hair. From big hair perms on the girls to mullets on the guys. Really just study the pictures and take it all in. It just didn't get any better than hair in the 80's. I admit I own a Chi flat iron now, but I still long for the days of perms and mousse. Life was so much easier then. I'm just sayin'.

5. I love the memories I have from that time in my life. I could write a whole post about it, but only two or maybe three people who read this blog would understand it.

5 comments:

Vonda said...

Yes Yes Rachel...I'm one of those 2 to 3 people who read this whole post. I so understand...the 80's were great! I was laughing reading your post...the hair, the clothes, the belts that could be twisted into flowers, knots, oh yeah! Sounds like you had fun being part of that group...walking down memory lane is fun! And by the way you haven't changed a bit except your hair. You still look as young as ever. :)

Anonymous said...

Rach
What a thrill to read your post. You are a great writer with such a fun flair. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Those were priceless days. My short stint in the group made a difference in my life. I'm thankful - very thankful for the friendships made then.

And you really do look incredibly ageless. What's your secret?

Anonymous said...

Rachel -
Jenn White forwarded this to me... How great to read this and I loved your writing. I hope you're well and thanks for the memories... Hard to believe I was working that hair - seeing as how I do not have the option now. They were good times weren't they?
Take care,
Parrish

Unknown said...

Rachel,
Haven't seen those pictures in years. Could not stop laughing. We thought we looked so good! I think all the guys were borrowing Parrish's clothes. What a stud. The guys were the "Mullet squad". I had a smile on my face the entire time I read this blog. What a great family photo of you guys. I wish you all the best. "Snickelfritz Lane"? There has to be a story there. God Bless you and Your family! Rachel!

Anonymous said...

My only comfort in seeing these pictures is that you were in them, too!! Todd and I laughed and took a little walk down memory lane. I plan to pass this along to some of the others in these pictures. Thanks for the reminder! Karen