Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Did you really just say that?

I am usually never at a loss for words. I realize this comes as no big surprise to the majority of you. I can usually come up with something in most situations.
However, since I've become a mom the same scenario has played out more times than I can count.

It happened again last night at the grocery store.
We put the boys to bed and I went to the store alone. Luke's baby food supply was running low so I was stocking up on several containers of baby food.
The bag boy said, "You must have a baby at home waiting for you."
I replied, "Yes, I do and he eats alot."
Bag boy says in an uncomfortably loud voice, " WOW! You do not look like you have had a baby at all. You should write a book or something." (I am not making this up)

First, I am amazed at how often perfect strangers will make this comment. I got it alot right after both boys were born. At church, in the pediatrician's office, in the mall, in restaurants, you name it. Men and women. The way I was raised, you really just don't talk about a person's post pregnancy body size. Ever.

Second, I realize I am talking to a teenage boy and I used to teach teenage boys so I know there is no filter between his brain and his mouth so whatever he is thinking pretty much comes out. This will cause him much distress throughout his life until he gets married and his wife supplies the filter for him.

Third, I never know what to say in these situations. If I smile and say, "Thank you" then I am technically lying since I didn't physically give birth to either one of my children. And I think I could be setting up false expectations that everyone who had a baby will just pop right back into shape. Let me quickly add that it is not like I am in tip top shape at all. I just happen to be a little on the thin side because lugging around two boys who happen to be in the 95th percentile for height and weight is like doing a daily workout. It reminds me of those climber types who weigh down a backpack with rocks and carry it up a mountain just for fun. But I digress. I usually say something like, "That's because both of my boys are adopted so I didn't go through a pregnancy." Then the other person gets uncomfortable and starts apologizing and saying stuff like "oh, I didn't know". Adoption is nothing to apologize for, but I find myself telling them, "It is ok, I get that all the time. Adoption is a blessing." Then they start asking more questions (domestic or international, how long did you have to wait, blah, blah blah) and all I wanted to do was buy some milk and baby food at the grocery store for heaven's sake!

I predict that once Luke hits the one year mark all of these awkward exchanges will cease.

No comments: