Friday, June 18, 2010

Restaurant Style Salsa

When I graduated from college, I moved from Louisiana to Houston, TX. I lived there for almost 8 years until I met and married Kevin and we moved to Florida. I think it is safe to say that I ate Mexican food almost every single week when I lived there. It is just what you do. And oh how I miss my weekly Tex Mex food fix. "Mexican food" here in the Carolinas just pales in comparison. In fact, it is just not even worth comparing. We've tried places here and they are ok, but they just aren't the same. One of the marks of a good Mexican restaurant is a good salsa. Kevin has been trying to find a good salsa recipe we can make at home. We've tried some that taste too Italian and some that are more like a pico de gallo which is not the same as salsa. We came across this one on thepioneerwoman.com website and I have to say it is wonderful. It is even better if you let it sit for a few days and let the flavors really mesh (or is it meld?) together. I am sitting here wishing I had some right now.

So if you are tired of salsa in a jar, try this recipe. I promise you won't want to go back to salsa in a jar. It does make a huge amount. I am not kidding. You have been warned.

Restaurant Style Salsa

Ingredients
1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
¼ cups Chopped Onion
1 clove Garlic, Minced
1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
¼ teaspoons Sugar
¼ teaspoons Salt
¼ teaspoons Ground Cumin
½ cups Cilantro (more To Taste!)
½ whole Lime Juice
Preparation Instructions
Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like—I do about 10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.
Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips or cheese nachos.

P.S. In case you like recipes and you like to cook, The Pioneer Woman has lots of recipes on her site. She doesn't use fancy ingredients and she takes pictures of every step which is very helpful for someone like me who is not confident in my cooking abilities. Plus, her running commentary while she is making the recipe can be very funny too.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I've made this recipe before! I love it! You've made me crave some now :)