Thursday, October 2, 2008

Throwback Thursday

The date: December 1995
The place: Israel. More specifically the mountainous desert right outside of Jerusalem possibly near where Jesus was tempted.
The mood: That was probably one of the most amazing trips I've ever taken. Definitely in my top 3. When I was teaching at Second Baptist in Houston, Dr. Young took groups of people to Israel every year. They were hoping to take some high schoolers this year and the school asked if any teachers wanted to go as chaperones at a discounted rate. Of course, being on a poor teacher's salary and this being a trip of a lifetime, I jumped on that offer. The people in the photo are the other single people that went on the trip. From bottom left, Geoff (another SBS teacher), Teresa (from Hickory, NC), me, Phil (my NASA friend), Clint (standing, from ??). We had such a great time together.

I still remember so much of it like it was yesterday. It was amazing to see places that I had only read about in the Bible. Crossing the Sea of Galilee in a boat and realizing Jesus walked on this very water was really cool. I hope I can go back someday with Kevin and the boys.

One very funny story from that trip - we were in an olive factory in Bethlehem buying Christmas ornaments made out of olive wood (the best souvenirs ever). A man came up to me and asked if I would marry his son. He said he would give my father 1000 camels and 50 goats. I considered it for a moment since I hadn't had a date in quite a while, but I declined. Later I found out that a good camel goes for about $1000 so I turned down a million dollar proposal! I gave my dad a camel made of olive wood to remind him of the one that got away!

No comments: