Friday, October 10, 2008

Another thing I thought I would never do on this blog

Many of the readers of this blog (oh who am I kidding - all three of you) have followed my adventure of trying to save money on our grocery bill. In my search for good deals, coupon tips, and other money saving ideas, I've run across several blogs in which people post pictures of the things they buy and the deals they made. The first time I saw this I thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever. Who wants to see a picture of what you bought at the grocery store? I just didn't really understand.

Until today.

Triple coupons at Lowe's Food. I had never heard of Lowe's except for the home improvement store until we moved to NC. This Lowe's is a grocery store. I think they are only in the Carolinas. This is the first time in over a year that they have done triples.

I had heard the triples rumor late last week so in preparation I cut and organized my coupons. I researched prices. I planned my attack. They only allow 20 coupons to be tripled per day so I had to be smart. I had several goals. First, I would only buy coupon items since I had already done our weekly shopping on Sunday night. Second, I would only buy the things that would be free or close to free after coupons. Third, I would spend less than $20.

A moment of silence please.

Now cue the drumroll.

I bought all of this for $16.87. Between triple coupons and store specials I saved $35.43! I am amazed. I think my parents would be proud. Several of the items were completely free after coupons: the toothbrushes, the toothpaste, the tea bags, and the Tabasco sauce. Some of the other items were just a few cents - the Hefty zip freezer bags were .34 each. The Softsoap was .45. A few of the items were ones that I might not normally buy or even try (pizza rolls, CPK frozen pizzas, new Pillsbury Savorings, Pepperidge Farm Fruit and Grain Bread) but they were very inexpensive after the coupons and sales. Even if we end up not liking them, I don't have to feel bad about spending alot of money on them.

(I have to add a disclaimer here - There are some SERIOUS coupon women in my town! Normally, I would do this kind of shopping without the kids so I could concentrate. However, because there were several good deals, I knew I had to try to go as early as possible or the stuff would be gone. I had to take Luke with me. He got fussy at the end so I had to rush.)

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. . .

And a special Happy Birthday to my niece Brittany and my niece-in-law Katie (is there such a thing?). I hope you are both having a great day. And one more to my nephew Bradley whose birthday is Saturday. We love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I really need to get on board with the clipping coupons.

Good Job with the money saving. I'm sure Uncle Kevin is proud!