Thursday, September 2, 2010

Well Said

One of the ladies from the Titus 2 group I met with this summer challenged us to be intentional about our parenting. She reminded us that we need to think about what we want our kids to look like (spiritually, emotionally, etc) when they are 30 and then parent accordingly. Too often we get caught up in the here and now trying to correct daily behavior issues (which is definitely needed) but forgetting about trying to develop their overall character. Our kids are watching how we spend our free time, how we spend our money, how we treat our neighbors and whether we prioritize our relationship with God. Much of what they see whether positive or negative will most likely become part of their own beliefs and behaviors.

I read a great article by Gregg Matte, pastor of First Baptist Church Houston. This quote stood out to me:

There will soon be a day when your children are out of the house and have to make their own decisions. A discerning heart lasts far longer than a hovering parent. We have to help that discernment develop. Discernment comes from teaching “why” – not just “what.”

I admit that I tend to be one of those "hovering parents" and I need to get out of that habit. As Fletcher gets older I know we can't always be there to help him (or force him) to make the right choices at school, on the playground, in the neighborhood or at church. But we can help him hide God's word in his heart and help him think about how Jesus would want him to act or respond in different situations.

2 comments:

Georgia Girl said...

I'll pray for you if you pray for me! This post brings tears to my eyes. I find myself questionning more every day the way we are parenting Caleb and Maddy.

Donna said...

LOVE that. Putting it on FB!