Monday, September 13, 2010

A Little Culture

This weekend we headed down or out or over (I wasn't driving so I'm not totally sure of the direction) to the Cabarrus County Fair.

Oh yes we did. It's been almost 10 years since I've been to a county fair complete with rides, games, pageants, petting zoo, pageants, 4-H displays, and every fried thing imaginable. Fried Oreos, really? The fairgrounds are new so all things considered, it was a pretty clean fair.

What a day! Fletcher and his buddy Tucker had a blast riding the rides. We bought wristbands for them so they could ride as many things as many times as they wanted to without having to mess with tickets.

This was a big step for me considering all of the germ issues I have. I did make the boys use hand sanitizer after just about every ride so they (hopefully) won't contract the "fair funk" virus. I'm sure other people thought I was nuts. But I was happy to see hand sanitizer pumps outside of the majority of the food booths. As much as I wanted to introduce the kids to the joys of a funnel cake, we skipped it. I did however get a piece of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting from the Methodist church booth (I figured of all the booths out there, they were probably the safest bet). It was some of the best carrot cake I've ever eaten!

Fun house/house of mirrors.
Kevin gets the Rock Star Dad award. As I've gotten older, all of those rides that go round and round or up and down or well, any direction really, make me nauseated and dizzy. So Kevin stepped up and rode the kiddie rides with Luke. At the end of the day, I asked Luke what his favorite ride was. He told me the "wollercoawster"(pictured below).

Here they are in the Monster Trucks. I think the carnival ride operator wasn't sure that Kevin would fit into the truck.

This was the fire engine.

Four Wheelers!

More four wheelers. They are wearing jackets because it had been raining off and on all afternoon. It actually made the day much cooler.

Superheroes! I told Fletcher and Tucker, "DO NOT put your mouths on those face rest things."
A camel with a turkey in the exhibition hall. Now there's something you don't see every day at a county fair. There were some other interesting "people sightings" as well, but I figured they might get mad (and possibly beat me up) if I took their pictures.
Can't go to the fair without a ride on the merry-go-round.
Bumper Cars. Poor little guys. They couldn't figure it out and kept going around in circles.
This ride was one that went around and around and up and down and then did the same thing in reverse. Fletcher almost threw up. I could tell he was very ready for that ride to be over. This was the photo before it started. He didn't look nearly as happy when it ended.

What a great Daddy!

I didn't get a good picture of them riding the ferris wheel. Kevin and Grant (Tucker's dad) both were a little leary about riding it considering the entire structure was propped up on a stack of 2'X2' boards. I forgot to take a picture of those. They survived.

Fletcher asked if we could go back next weekend.

No comments: