Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Hype

Today is the first day of autumn. The high is supposed to be 95 degrees.

Well, alrighty then.

In honor of "fall" I went to Starbucks to try their Pumpkin Spice Latte. Now there are a few things you need to know. First, I'm not really a Starbucks kind of girl. In fact, I think I can count only about 5 times that I've actually purchased anything at Starbucks. In my lifetime. One of those times I had a coupon for a free coffee. A couple of times were for hot chocolate, not coffee. And the other times were in an airport for juice and a muffin before a flight. I just have a hard time paying that much money for a beverage I could make at home for fifty cents or less. It is also important to note that I haven't always been a coffee drinker. I started when I had kids. Sounds terrible, but the caffeine really does help me get going since I am not a morning person and my first born is a morning person X 100. My mawmaw in Louisiana used to make me coffee milk which was essentially a glass of milk with some sugar and a shot of coffee. I drank my coffee this way for years. Until I had kids. Then the ratios changed. Now it's a whole lot of coffee and sugar and a shot of milk.

Anyway, back to the Pumpkin Spice Latte. Several blogs I read and friends on Facebook mentioned that the PSL is back at Starbucks. They serve it for limited time only during the fall, I guess. They were raving about how yummy it is. So I thought I would try it. I really like pumpkin flavored things - muffins, breads, pancakes, etc. So I was wondering if this would put me in the fall mood.

I paid $ 3.77 for a small cup. (Starbucks can call it "Grande" but it was a very small cup indeed. ) Something this expensive better taste pretty good.

The verdict?

Delicious. Seriously. I understand the hype. My friend on FB called it "crack in a cup." I don't know that I would go that far, but it was really good. It was the perfect blend of coffee, pumpkin, sweetness and cinnamon. I was a little sad when it was all gone. And yes, I was sweating as I drank it since the high was 94 today. But it was that good.

I told Kevin about my PSL experience and he might have rolled his eyes. He doesn't believe in paying big bucks for coffee either. However, I did tell him that I would not be mad at him if he decided to go to Starbucks early one morning and surprise me with a PSL. He gets up early anyway and Starbucks is just right down the street in the Target.

So when cooler weather gets here, go try a PSL and let me know what you think.

No comments: