Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Day of Preschool 2010

Tuesday was Luke's first day of preschool this year. He is in a three year old class and goes three days a week (Tu, Wed, Th) from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm. I was a little nervous since he still has trouble when we leave him in the nursery at church. He cries for a few minutes then he is fine. This past Sunday he did not cry at all.

And I am happy to report that he didn't cry today when I dropped him off at preschool either. I read The Kissing Hand to him several times over the weekend. When we got to the parking lot, I made sure to kiss his hand and he kissed mine. I reminded him that "Mommy always comes back." When we got into the room, things were somewhat chaotic with everyone dropping off kids and supplies. He saw some familiar toys that he had played with at the open house last week so he went immediately to those. I said, "Have a good day, Lukie." I expected him to say, "Mommy, I want you" which is his code for "please do not leave me in this place." But instead he looked up and said, "Ok, bye Mom." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. But I took that as my cue and left before he could change his mind!

When I went to pick him up, his teacher said he did a great job. He had a sticker on his hand and a smiley face drawn in his folder (both excellent signs in the preschool world). He said he had fun playing with his friends and playing on the playground. He showed me how they sit "criss cross applesauce" on the rug during circle time. Don't you love preschool?!
His backpack seems huge, but there's not much in it. Not sure if we'll leave the lunchbox clipped on the outside or shove it in the inside. So many decisions.

Hopefully, he will be excited to go back tomorrow!

1 comment:

GranDee said...

AWWW - YAY LUKE
HAVE A GREAT YEAR @ PRESCHOOL
LOVE YOU
AUNT DEE