Thursday, February 4, 2010

Left Behind

Like many people, I've watched the events in Haiti unfold since the earthquake.

There is so much sadness and devastation to a country that was already poor and broken.

One glimmer of hope in all of this is that some families who have been trying for years to complete their adoptions of Haitian orphans are finally getting to bring their children home. Their stories and reunions bring me to tears.

But one little boy was left behind. His name is Ronel. He is probably about 9 years old. He was all set to leave along with the other children from his orphanage, but he was not allowed on the plane. He was missing a piece of paperwork. His adoptive American father left his adoptive mother, newborn baby and other two children and flew to Haiti to get him. They still won't let them leave. Politics. Red tape. Who knows. But it breaks my heart. They've been "living" on the concrete floor of the Embassy for 8 long nights. Pictures of that are here.

Here is his story and his picture. God knows his name. God knows his story. God knows how to get him home to his forever family.

We read the story of Naaman tonight during our Bible time in 2 Kings 5. Naaman was an important man (captain of an army), but was sick with leprosy and wanted to be healed. His servant girl told him that Elisha, God's prophet, could heal him. He was told to go wash in the Jordan River seven times. The stinky, muddy, not-so-nice Jordan River. The one far less superior to the nicer rivers in town.

His response?
But Naaman went away angry and said, "I thought that he [ Elisha] would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy. "

Eventually, Naaman does go and wash and is healed.

So what does Naaman have to do with the story of Ronel?

Well, I think any time I'm faced with a difficult situation, I act alot like Naaman. I already know in my head how I want God to work things out before I even pray about it. Then I get angry and frustrated when He doesn't do what I think makes the most sense or is the least complicated or is what I think is best. I want God to "wave his hand over the spot" and fix whatever is wrong.

In my mind, first class jet service, no waiting, no red tape would make the most sense for this little boy who has suffered so much already. Not more heartache, more waiting, more "No" answers. But on the dirty floor of that Embassy, God is writing his story. Not me. God sees the whole picture. Not me. The waiting turns into trusting and the trusting turns into a deep faith in a God who sometimes asks us to go through the hard stuff.

Updated to add: Looks like they have secured a flight home. God is good.

No comments: