Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Target Randomness

Sunday afternoon I went to Target to pick up a few things. Typically, when the boys are with me I am paying attention to them and don't have much time to pay attention to what other shoppers are doing.

Sunday I was alone.

Sunday I walked through the aisles of Target like I was in a fine art museum. The aisles I wanted to walk down with no one asking me questions or wanting a snack or getting into each others' personal space. It was pure bliss! Until I had to lift the 40 lb. bag of dog food into my cart. Then I was really wishing Kevin was there with me and I was jolted back into reality.

As I was strolling along I came across two unusual sites.

First, in the "household cleaning" section I noticed what appeared to be an unoccupied cart with someone's purse in it. Ever since a friend of mine had her purse stolen from her cart when she wasn't looking, I've always been somewhat paranoid when I see other people leaving their purses unattended. Then I looked down and noticed a woman sitting on the floor wedged between her cart and the aisle. She was a small woman. She was holding a bottle of Drain-O and intently reading the label. Immediately, I thought of that movie Sixth Sense where the older sister was poisoning the younger sister with Drain-O. Wasn't that the right movie? Or am I thinking of a Lifetime movie special? (We no longer get that channel and Kevin is so thankful.) I concocted a story in my head (see what happens when I go to Target with no kids to distract me) about this tiny woman who was trying to poison someone. When in reality, she probably had a clogged drain and was at Target without her kids trying to make sure that the product she bought would actually work on her clog.

Second, as I walked through the cosmetics section I noticed what looked like an 11 or 12 year old girl sitting on the floor. What is with people sitting on the floor in Target? I mean, I know Target is pretty clean and all, but I still wouldn't sit on the floor. Because I am nosey and because I was without kids (just how many times can I mention that), I walked closer pretending to browse. Little Missy was opening various bottles of fingernail polish and painting her fingernails.....and her toenails. Like she was at her BFF's 7th grade sleepover/spa party! I couldn't believe it. I continued to browse because I was looking for a new makeup bag to replace the one I've had for 15 years and she continued to paint. The former teacher in me wanted to go over and say, "You know, you really aren't supposed to open all those bottles and paint your fingers and toes without buying the polish." And here's the kicker ---- her mom came around the corner and said, "Ok, I think we are ready to go. How do they look?.... Oh, that's cute. C'mon let's go." The girl puts the polish back so obviously she isn't buying any. And she and the lady walk away. Really? You are essentially letting your daughter steal nail polish from Target and you are affirming her? If that would have been my mom and if I would have had the nerve to do that (big "if" because I was a big chicken), she would not have said, "That's cute." She would have snatched me bald headed in the middle of the store and probably spanked me too. Now maybe it wasn't her mom and I might not know the full story. But that adult in her life had the opportunity to teach that girl a lesson, but she opted not to.

It made me realize how hard it is going to be for Fletcher and Luke to discern right from wrong and make good choices when others around them AND THEIR PARENTS won't always set a great example to follow. I pray that we look to God for guidance in parenting them and that we "watch our life and our doctrine closely" (1 Tim. 4:16) because I know they are paying attention.

Next time, the boys are coming with me. I need two little distractions.

1 comment:

Georgia Girl said...

Distractions are nice. Let's just hope you never come up on L or F painting their nails in a Target aisle!